Saturday, October 17, 2009

Whoa, the left-handed gene was discovered!!

In a comment nepata pointed me to this article.

As I suspected, there is a genetic component to being left-handed, and they have found the gene that might cause it, although there may well be other genes or factors that play a part as well.

Do I have the greatest commenters or what?!

For the snarky among you the article does mention the gene and schizophrenia, which also seems to be linked with brain balance, but I remind you that the article also says left-handers should also not be worried about developing schizophrenia, because that illness is not completely understood yet, and there could be multiple factors that cause it.  Also, right handers can get schizophrenia, so clearly there is more to it than just a person's handedness or this particular.

I acknowledge that sometimes I overstate the case for things, but the thing is that scientists are VERY careful in what they say, and they hate to speak prematurely.  I, on the other hand, have no such constraints.  I think scientists would agree that we are finding out much more data on how the brain develops and works, and it is seeming more and more possible that brain chemistry plays a big role in our behavior.  My educated guess is that eventually we will find an organic cause for many of the neurosis, psychosis, and brain disorders that are currently listed in the DSM-IV psych manual.

For example, I think that I see much of the Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (Different from OCD!) behaviors in the teabaggers and dittoheads.  Google OCPD, read the description, and see if I am wrong.  It sure explains a lot to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment