Monday, December 29, 2008

My CERN visit is ON!

I have received confirmation from CERN that I will be joining an existing group for a tour of CERN.  I am very excited about this!  The group I will join is from Wellington College in the UK.  I know little about this college, but I don't think that will matter much.  I was very fortunate to be able to spend about six months in England years ago, doing work for IBM at the Hursley site, and overall that was one of the best experiences of my life.  I was able to live, with my family, in a rented house.  My daughter was accepted to start Kindergarten there, and I was very grateful that they allowed her to attend class at no fee.  I loved living the regular day to day life with the people there, and it was probably the first time my eyes were opened to the fact that so much of what I KNEW in the US was either untrue, or taken for granted.  My perspective on a lot of things changed greatly, and even though I came back to the US feeling like somewhat of a misfit I am very grateful to have had the opportunity of taking that trip.  I must admit I owe IBM a great debt for giving me that opportunity.

But enough of that.  No more looking back.  I am going to look forward to my upcoming trip!  I am not going to disclose the actual date of the trip, because of the internet and the security thing and all that, but I don't think that matters too much.  In general the trip is in November and I will be preparing for it!

One thing I do know about the internet is that it can be a great place to get help from people, so if anyone has any travel tips for someone going to spend a week in Switzerland I am happy to hear them.  I can get the weather info and directions and things like that from the web, but I am looking for any insider tips or where to eat in Geneva and any other places, besides CERN, that I absolutely must visit.

1 comment:

  1. You should visit the old town, by the river, and observe the beautiful ladies in their short skirts and leggings. The countryside is magnificent and the people are very friendly. Perhaps take a picnic lunch of baguettes and cheese, and finish it off with some incredible swiss chocolate.

    Some Americans have been known to meet up with loved ones there, so keep your eyes open...someone may be waiting just for you.

    ReplyDelete